The Salmon Of Knowledge

Friends, Salmon and The River Laune


I have talked about this quite a lot. The most important memory that I have from my younger years, is the day I caught my first salmon. It is one of those moments that not only do I remember it but I remember every millisecond of the moment. I remember seeing the salmon chase the spinner from under the current of water from the above rapids, I remember nearly losing my life when the salmon didn't take the spinner, I remember praying to god, please let him take the spinner at the second cast and he did. 


When my first salmon snapped at my spinner and took line, I really did not know what I was doing. I had never caught a fish of this size before and not only was the world on my shoulders at that point but I could almost feel the disappointing feeling of losing the fish even though i hadn't lost him. I grew up around anglers, not only were they anglers but there were men of deep understanding of everything water. They knew how to catch fish and all the times that I had been sent up rivers to watch these anglers catching fish, was now weighing heavy on my shoulders. 

I was a nervous wreak, I remember actually taking the bail arm off and leaving the fish go downstream with the spinner hanging out of his mouth. In the end by the luck of god that salmon was up on the bank and this 13 year old boy had become a man. I was now in the bracket of a salmon fisherman and for me it was the thing of dreams. 

Spring Salmon, Owenmore Kerry, 1997

Myself and my Uncle Don, Owenmore 1996

During the week I had the privilege of fishing the river Laune with a great friend of mine. Up to maybe five years ago he had never caught a salmon. He now has a good few caught and he decided that he wanted to set up a youth club to bring young men out fishing. Because we are greedy anglers and if the truth be told we arrived two hours before everyone else to make sure to get the first rub of the pools before everyone else. I know but look you learn the hard way in life and a dumb priest never caught a parish. 

To make a long story short, my friend hooked a salmon of about 12 pound. I was there to help him land the fish and again it is a moment I will never ever forget. In a world of tech and bullshit this in my opinion is what is missing in the youth of today. Some people say that now is the best ever time to grow up but I beg to differ. I really feel sorry for these kids. They are in my opinion lambs to the slaughter. Now you might be fine and your young-fella or young-women might be fine but the world isn't. I really believe that angling has saved my life on many of an occasion. Through my darkest times, I could close my eyes and think back to that first salmon and really believe that there is more to life. I have had my share of problems and all sorts of misbehaving but there was an element of truth to what I learnt from being on the river bank. 

I will not go into the why and the what of angling and now it makes me a better person because in fact there is too much to talk about. When my friend caught that salmon and yes we killed and shared cutlets among both our families, the talk of it went on for days. At the moment angling is on the way down and I believe it will not last because the anglers are constantly fighting among themselves. A young-fella out fishing is afraid of where to fish, can he kill a fish, license fees, lack of gear, abuse and bullying online the list goes on. We are going to try and help this problem to best way we can, by volunteering our time and be of service to young anglers who want to fish. We have gear if they cant afford it and we can pay for licences and permits for them. I much rather see a young person out in the wild, breathing fresh air, knowing the environment, talking, laughing and experience real friendships in the world that god made for us. 

Tight Lines... 

Des Bailey, KDYS Youth Angling Club Volunteer, River Laune, August 2019

KDYS Youth Angling Club, August 2019
12 Pound Salmon River Laune, August 2019