Where to fish on the Peninsula?

WHERE DO I FISH?


This week alone ten anglers on the peninsula messaged in the page asking the same question! As we all know, angling solely depends on conditions, if its bright sunshine, no wind and no rain, then I'm afraid the odds are stacked against you! Also I will always tell people to go where the conditions are good, often when surf casting there might be no surf in Brandon bay but there will be good conditions on Inch beach. Also if there has been plenty rain I will always tell anglers go to the river. I don't know how many times an avid salt water angler rejected going to fresh water only to then go and become instantly hooked. Pardon the pun! The reality is some days are going to be terrible and even sometimes some years are terrible but the time will come when you have to make hay when the sun shines. This week it was great to see so many people fishing the spate rivers on the peninsula. I have been telling people for years how fantastic these little gems can be, now they can also break your heart but the day will come when everything will come right. I had a great young angler out a few years from cork and he wanted to fish a few of the spate rivers in and around the peninsula, he was able to wait for the right day and the water was perfect. We first went to Annascual river where he met sea trout after sea trout, all were returned to fight another day. He recently text to say his coming again and when i mentioned that outing on the Annascual river he said "I wont forget that in a hurry". If anybody knows an angler by the name of Chris Feillly that is who I am talking about, he reminded me of no one but myself when I was younger, stone mad for fishing and was good at it too. I remember him making sure to get to any pools before I did, a sure sign of a good angler. :)

Owencasla River, Dingle Peninsula, August 2019
It was great to see so many anglers on the Owencasla River yesterday some people call it the Aughcasla River, either way its a fantastic looking river in spate. It has been fished for years and I have had the unfortunate experience of finding a net on the river twice. I was told by anglers down through the years that it had a small run of salmon and sea trout, although for years I didn't catch a thing in it. Its a river that really should be only fished in a flood but it took years to know where to fish in the river, certain parts produce every year. These are usually there hardest parts to get to. A very good friend of mine caught his second ever salmon in it and for years he taught I was mental telling him that there was salmon in it. It can test your patience because it literally is tiny, it is vastly overgrown in both the top stretches and bottom parts. To be honest I have never had any luck in the middle boggy area but I have heard down through the years of fish been caught throughout the river, I sure sign of fish present is anglers from Tralee fishing!

Owencasla River, Dingle Peninsula, August 2019

There has been a lot of activity around the peninsula over the last week and one angler who contacted the page a few months back was able to catch Sea Trout, Wrasse, Pollack and Salmon. He was another person I felt was only a saltwater lure angler but I mentioned the river and the river produced for him. He goes by the name of Steven Lurefishing. Also a good member from the page had a terrible time recently after travelling all the way from lands afar only to realize the person he traveled didn't like fishing and it was meant to be a fishing holiday! I will over the months try and put together proper guides of where and when to fish around the peninsula.

Tight Lines...

Sea Trout, River Scroid, Dingle Peninsula, August 2019

Wrasse, Dingle Bay, August 2019


Pollack, Brandon Head, Dingle Peninsula, August 2019