Best Angler in Europe, Troy Francis, Penn Sea League Champion 2021

So I have fished with Troy Francis for years, I met him first on the pier in Fenit a good few years ago! It was a cold winter evening and it was a Tralee bay comp. I was doing well at the time, I wasn't drinking or partying and I was loving life! I had only really joined the club the year before meeting Troy so I was green. Troy is a dub. Now to be honest I don't really like dubs but Troy was an exception because I noticed straight away we had the same love for angling! You know that kind of mental obsession that only a few human beings have for angling! That was Troy and that was me. Obsessed with fishing and heading off any chance we got. At the time Troy was just coming down to Kerry as he had met a girl from Killarney while he was out on some summer holiday. Troy might not tell you this but if it wasn't for that girl than none of this best angler stuff would have happened. He might not tell you this either but Kerry made Troy the angler he is today. The club has a lot to answer for too. Their is a healthy competitive nature there and without a doubt lads want to win. I personally think that if you want to get good at something than you need to get competitive. There is a few funny stories that have become infamous, so let me tell you a few!


Get em in the bag, Tralee Bay, 2012

So who said there is friends in fishing? Let me tell you something there isn't! There is fuck all friendly about a Tralee Bay comp in the middle of winter! One comp that I will never forget was one where the blatant lying had a fella dreaming of the podium. I cant exactly remember what time of year it was but it could have been either the first comp or the last comp of the year on the pier! Nice few pound for first place! A nice little earner for the weekend. I knew I was going good, I was catching a few and by looking up and down the pier I knew I was up there! On comes Troy, fuck it your defo winning Dano! Fuck off I says! Ah no you cant be caught, next thing I get the nod from another angler, I don't fucking believe it, nice one, another few fish are caught, 14 fish or something I had, I asked Troyo, what are you on? 12 he says! The whistle is blown, I says Nice-one, kebab on the way home, god is good! Back to the pub for the celebration, I genuinely taught I had the first spot, when Troy's name was called out with 17 fish, I nearly lost my life! I think in the end I was third, fishing ah! There is no friends in love and war!


Not first but third, West end, Fenit, 2014

There is plenty more stories and they will be told, that is the beauty of fishing and I suppose I lost that love for a while. The salmon took over and if i'm honest the sea fishing is far more better for the mind. The salmon can be very lonely and with the sea fishing there is a far better community.  Anyway until next time, tight lines...