Delphi Fishery 350 a Day!


I remember as a child seeing the Delphi river, I was amazed to be honest, I have yet to see a more beautiful river. Maybe because I grew up in west Kerry fishing spate rivers, I might be a little biased! For me you cant beat fast flowing spate rivers on the west coast of Ireland. The Delphi is in my eyes the most beautiful one. Ideally the river shouldn't travel very far inland, should be in a secluded area, be surrounded by mountains, have at least one Loch preferably more than one etc etc.... The two best examples are the Owenmore in Kerry and the Delphi in Connemara, also it must be added that both are actually private fisheries. 


Second Salmon of 2021, Delphi Fishery

Here is a link to a topic that was discussed on the Facebook page about the fee that is charged on the Delphi per day : Delphi 350 per day! 

So the Delphi is privately owned by who I do not know but that gives them the right to charge whatever they want to fish the river. Now in fairness the Delphi has its own hatchery which is fantastic and has a beautiful guesthouse and amazing facilities. Its obviously well managed and is the beacon for all rivers in the country. Maybe they have every right to charge that amount and all the luck to them. On the other hand you have the Owenmore in Kerry. Its a smaller river but has all the same potential. Its very very similar. I think personally that when the very rich Roche family from cork bought the river in 2006 for 2.5 million they were trying to imitate the success of the Delphi in Connemara. It hasn't really worked out for the Roche family and here are my reasons why I think it hasn't. The Owenmore practices only C&R which is great but for a fishery to work as a business you need to kill fish. Rich Germans and rich Americans want to eat their catch, its quite simple. Also its fly only which again is rubbish because for some reason fly anglers think that fly fishing is the only way to fish. Why have a river fly only when 95% is not suitable for fly fishing. Fly anglers seem to think that their is no skill in worm and spinning which really irritates me. There is a snobbery in fly angling that I have no time for. The Owenmore has absolutely no facilities and no accommodation near by like the Delphi.