The Dingle Peninsula National Park!

I woke up Friday morning to the news that the Owenmore was for sale! Although I knew that this would happen I was still shocked to see it for real. A few weeks ago when the Conor Pass went up for sale, I kinda knew then that the river would follow suit. So all weekend between various jobs that had to be done I was researching and making connections. So the first thing I done was contact Siobhan at uplift to see if they were open to including the Owenmore River into the very successful petition on the Conor Pass sale. I then realised that the former Green Party representative Saoirse Mchugh was behind the petition but although I did try to contact her, it was to no avail. It would be great to include the river in that petition and I will continue to try and get that done. In my opinion this whole area should be made a national park. The Dingle Peninsula National Park! I think that has got a nice ring to it. So anyway the next thing I done was contact Micheal Noonan who owns the Conor Pass which is also up for sale and he seemed to be happy with the news. As the weekend went on and I was thinking about all this, it made perfect sense to me that without the river, all this means nothing. The river drains the whole catchment. It has pristine waters and holds a good healthy run of Salmon and Sea Trout. It's a no brainer, the area needs investment. The idea of a national park at the foothills of mount Brandon is just wonderful to me. This place has to be bought by this government and given the respect it deserves. If this was Killarney it would be kept for the people. Do we really want this area of such cultural and significant importance to fall into the hands of foreign owners? More to come on all this!


Dingle Peninsula National Park








Proper Catch Records for Owenmore River 1989 - 1992